Almonds are one of my favorite nuts and this almond cake is filled with almond flavor!! It is a bit dense, very moist and it pairs perfectly with an almond buttercream or a chocolate ganache.
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: serves 10-12||Total:|
This cake is great just eaten alone. It is so moist and delicious.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup finely ground almond meal
- 1 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 (325 for convection) [TEMP]
- Combine flour, almond meal, sugar, salt, and baking powder in the bowl of a stand mixer. [COMBINE]
- Mix, using a paddle attachment to blend. [BLEND]
- Add the butter and almond extract and stir on low for 2-3 minutes, until coarse crumbs form. [ADD]
- Meanwhile, combine the eggs, milk and sour cream and mix to blend. Add 1/2 of this mixture. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. [BEAT]
- Add the 2nd half and beat for another minute on medium speed. [BEAT]
- Pour into two parchment lined 9 inch pans and bake for 25-30 minutes or into a parchment lined 1/4 sheet pan. [POUR]
- Bake for 20-25 minutes for 9 inch pans and 30-40 minutes for the 1/4 sheet pan. [BAKE]
This cake bakes perfectly flat so you won't have cake levels. Be careful not to under bake.