Hazelnut cake really rivals my all time favorite cake – chocolate peanut butter. I created this recipe by reading about chestnut cake and almond cake in the cake The Cake Bible. Here are a couple of awesome things about this cake.
- It bakes totally flat. No need to have levels. When you are constantly temped by leveled cake this is a great thing!
- It is super moist and has a strong hazelnut flavor.
You’ll need some form of hazelnut praline paste. There are many varieties out there but I use the Love and Bake variety. There are also a lot of how to blogs available for making your own praline paste. I haven’t tried this yet because I don’t make hazelnut cake all that often. But, the tutorials walk you through step by step so if you would like to give it a go, definitely check one of them out. Here is one from Sweet as Honey that looks pretty nice for following.
Without further delay, here is the recipe!
This cake has a rich hazelnut flavor thanks to the hazelnut flour and hazelnut praline paste. I love it with raspberry filling or hazelnut filling.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon hazelnut extract
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup hazelnut flour
- 1 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1/4 cup hazelnut praline paste
- Preheat oven to 350 (325 for convection) [TEMP]
- Combine flour, hazelnut flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in the bowl of a stand mixer. [COMBINE]
- Mix, using a paddle attachment to blend. [BLEND]
- Add the butter, hazelnut praline paste and hazelnut extract and stir on low for 2-3 minutes, until coarse crumbs form. [ADD]
- Meanwhile, combine the eggs, milk and sour cream and mix to blend. Add 1/2 of this mixture. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. [BEAT]
- Add the 2nd half and beat for another minute on medium speed. [BEAT]
- Pour into two parchment lined 9 inch pans and bake for 25-30 minutes or into a parchment lined 1/4 sheet pan. [POUR]
- Bake for 20-25 minutes for 9 inch pans and 30-40 minutes for the 1/4 sheet pan. [BAKE]
When you finish making the cake it is perfect with hazelnut frosting, chocolate frosting or chocolate ganache or even a simple whipped cream frosting.