Bananas and chocolate are a perfect combination. I love these chocolate banana cupcakes because they hide a bit of the banana flavor, while still retaining the healthy benefits of banana and the tender moistness you would expect in a perfect banana cupcake. These chocolate banana cupcakes are a modification of the original tender banana cupcake.
They pair well with cream cheese frosting, chocolate frosting, or a simple vanilla buttercream.
Chocolate Banana Cupcakes
A lovely blend of bananas and delicate chocolate flavor, these are perfect frosted with banana cream frosting, chocolate frosting or they can be enjoyed without any frosting at all.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pureed bananas (apx 2 large bananas)
- Preheat oven to 350 (325 for convection)
- Line 12 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- In a blender puree the bananas and then add the eggs. Puree until just blended. Add the vanilla. [PUREE]
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and blend. [COMBINE]
- Add the oil and half of the banana mixture to the dry ingredients and blend on medium speed for 1 1/2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl. [BLEND]
- Add the remaining banana mixture in two batches, beating for 30 seconds with each addition. [ADD]
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins. Fill each cup 2/3 full. [POUR]
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. [BAKE]