Everyone needs a great go to chocolate cake recipe and this one is my favorite!
I love this recipe because it works for both cake and cupcakes equally well! It is simple and always works perfectly.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil or melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat your oven to 325 (convection) or 350 (regular) and line two 8" or 9" pans or a 9x12 sheet pan with parchment paper.[TEMP]
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking power, salt and baking soda. [COMBINE]
- Mix well on low speed in a stand mixer. [COMBINE]
- Boil water in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, until it reaches boiling. [MICRO]
- Add milk, canola oil or melted butter, and eggs. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. [BLEND]
- Add boiling water and then beat on high speed for one minute. [BEAT]
- Bake for 18 minutes for cupcakes and if you are making an 8" or 9" cake, bake for 25 - 30 minutes, until tester comes out clean. [BAKE]
This recipe may be halved or doubled. The cake pairs well with almost any frosting.