My family is super picky about chocolate chip cookies! We have a favorite family recipe that we used for years, but it uses shortening and I wanted to have a great chocolate chip cookie recipe that didn’t call for shortening. I created this recipe using all butter. I like knowing that it isn’t shortening-based and enjoy the added flavor that the butter brings to the cookie. These chewy chocolate chip cookies have become a new favorite for us!
These chewy chocolate chip cookies stay fresh for several days, but they probably won’t last must longer than that! When you want a good chewy chocolate chip cookie, pull out this recipe. They are perfect to feed a crowd of hungry kids.
Giant Chocolate Chip Cookies
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 24-28 large cookies||Total:|
These are the perfect chewy cookie! I love that they are full of chocolate chips and retain their chewy texture for days.
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 24 ounces semi sweet baking chips or chopped chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 (conventional) or 325 (convection). Line a cookie sheet with parchment or place a Silpat on the sheet.[TEMP]
- Cream the butter, sugar, and brown sugar along with the salt, vanilla and baking soda for 3-5 minutes. You want the mixture to look fully combined. [BEAT]
- Add the flours in two additions, mixing on low after each addition.[COMBINE]
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix on low speed until blended. [BEAT]
- Add the chocolate chips.[COMBINE]
- Use a 3 tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop out the dough and place on the cookie sheet. Bake for 15-16 minutes. [BAKE]
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack to complete the cooling.[COOL]
These cookies spread well, so you do not need to flatten the tops before baking. If you like chocolate chip cookies with nuts, add a cup of walnuts to finish these off.