I struggled with making chocolate cupcakes for years. It was challenging to get the amount of batter for each cupcake correct. I would end up with giant cupcakes or poorly-risen cupcakes more oftentimes than not. I finally figured out that the method for mixing up cupcakes can really affect the final product. This recipe calls for adding the boiling water late in the process and beating on high speed for a minute. The cupcakes have baked perfectly every time for me! Every time I’ve made them, they yield 12 cupcakes. They also work nicely for the mini cupcake size. If you bake them as minis, they need 13 minutes in the oven.
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 12 cupcakes||Total:|
I love this recipe because it always mixes up perfectly and bakes delicious chocolate cupcakes. This recipe is the same as the chocolate cupcake recipe for 24 cupcakes except that it uses melted butter instead of canola oil. All ingredients should be at room temperature to start.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees or to 325 degrees for convection baking.[TEMP]
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Blend briefly to combine.[COMBINE]
- Add the milk, melted butter, egg, and vanilla. Blend on low speed until the mixture looks smooth, about a minute.[BEAT]
- Pour in the boiling water and blend on medium high speed for 1 minute.[BLEND]
- Bake for 18 minutes.[BAKE]
- Remove from pan and allow to cool completely.[COOL]
You can blend everything except the boiling water for the duration of time it takes the water to boil in the microwave. Use a medium muffin scoop to fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full.