This super light frosting pairs beautifully with a pumpkin cake! It has just a touch of sweetness and it is so light and fluffy.
I use it on carrot cake and pumpkin cake when I want a lighter, less sweet frosting instead of a more traditional cream cheese frosting.
Mascarpone Cream Cheese Frosting
|Yield: Frosts one 8" cake.|
This is impossible to resist! It is so light and airy. It is the perfect adornment for a fall pumpkin or carrot cake.
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/8 cup maple syrup, room temperature
- 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Beat the cream cheese and butter until well blended, about 5 minutes. Scrape the sides down well several times to make sure they are incorporated.[BEAT]
- Add the maple syrup and the confectioner's sugar. Beat another minute until fully combined.[BEAT]
- Gently fold in the mascarpone cheese, blending until just added.[BLEND]
Make sure your ingredients are room temperature, as the frosting will curdle if your ingredients are cold. If this does happen, you can fix it by letting it come to room temperature and continuing to beat. You can either wait or run warm water around the edges of the bowl until the ingredients warm.
This recipe makes enough to frost one 8" layer cake. You can either frost a two layer cake and the outside of the cake, or frost a 3 layer cake and the top, with a semi-naked finish on the sides. I prefer the latter for a more unique look ... and to have 3 layers of cake!