Sour cream makes baked goods so tender! The texture is similar to my favorite childhood cake; Texas sheet cake. These cupcakes bake beautifully and stay very moist. To intensify the flavor, make sure you use all coffee instead of the blend of coffee and water.
I love this recipe with a peanut butter mousse frosting as in the picture below, but they work well with most any frosting. Another great pairing is mint chocolate cookie frosting.
Sour cream chocolate cupcakes
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: makes about 24-30 cupcakes depending on how domed you like them.||Total:|
This super moist cupcake is perfectly paired with a rich peanut butter frosting. They are delicious even without frosting.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1 cup coffee (or use water or a mix of coffee and water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 for convection)[HEAT]
- Blend all the dry ingredients in your mixing bowl. Make sure no cocoa lumps remain. [BLEND]
- Combine oil, eggs, vanilla and sour cream. [COMBINE]
- Bring coffee or water to boiling in the microwave.
- Add the oil, egg, vanilla and sour cream mixture to the dry ingredients. Blend on low speed for 1 minute. Scrape the sides. [BLEND]
- Gradually add the coffee and beat on medium for 2 minutes. [BEAT]
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter. [BAKE]
This recipe works great for mini cupcakes as well. If you make minis, drop the baking time to 12-14 minutes and halve the recipe unless you need a lot of them!