Of all the cakes I make, strawberry has been the most challenging to develop a recipe for. I’ve created several recipes for strawberry cake and ultimately none of them have been good enough … until now! This cake was inspired by a recipe in a book that came with my KitchenAid mixer. The original recipe is for orange cake, but it modified well for a strawberry cake.
There are a few things to consider. This batter is a lovely pink color before it goes into the oven, but then it emerges from the oven with much less pink. If color is important to you, you can add food coloring to keep a stronger pink hue. It will have a stronger strawberry flavor if you use concentrated strawberry juice instead of drained juice, too. You can make your own by reducing the strawberry juice, or you can purchase strawberry juice concentrate online. The cake does still tastes lovely if you just use strawberry juice drained from the berries, but it won’t have an incredibly strong strawberry flavor. You could also add a tablespoon of freeze-dried strawberry powder to give it an extra strawberry kick. If you use the powder, you will also get a stronger color for the cake. If you have time and access to great local strawberries, make your own fruit powder. As I write this, we’re midway into strawberry season! I usually freeze a lot of berries, but am ready to pull out my dehydrator this year to make some awesome fruit powder. Check out this the Cupcake Project to learn how to make your own.
Watch the Video
A delicious cake filled with strawberries! Who doesn't love strawberries? This is perfect for strawberry season or any season.
- 2 1/2 cups cupcake flour blend*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened but still firm
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup strawberry juice (or 1/4 cup concentrated juice and 1/2 cup water)
- 1/4 cup strawberry puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon strawberry powder, optional but helpful
- Preheat oven to 350 (325 convection)[TEMP]
- Sift the dry ingredients together. Add the strawberry powder to the dry ingredients if using.[COMBINE]
- Cream the butter for 30 seconds and then add the sugar slowly. Beat until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.[BEAT]
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.[BEAT]
- Combine the strawberry juice, puree and vanilla.[BLEND]
- With the mixer on low, add some dry ingredients followed by some of the juice mixture. Continue alternating, ending with the dry ingredients. Scrape down the bowl as needed.[BEAT]
- Divide batter evenly between two 8 inch pans. Bake until firm in the center, about 25-30 minutes.[BAKE]
- Cool in pans.[COOL]
Use the cupcake flour blend I've also posted on this site. You may also use cake flour or a blend of cake flour and all purpose flour with similar results.