Cream cheese frosting is so popular for fall with pumpkin cake, carrot cake and spice cake! But, why not enjoy it in the spring and summer with fruity cakes? I love making strawberry cream cheese frosting during the spring and summer months. This recipe is quick and easy, imparting a nice natural strawberry flavor in every bite. If you choose to use the optional strawberry powder, make your own using a dehydrator or buy one from a source that is all natural. Some strawberry powders contain artificial ingredients just like many strawberry extracts do. Nature Restore offers an organic natural strawberry powder.
Strawberry Cream Cheese
|Yield: This makes about 4 cups of frosting.|
With the great taste and texture of cream cheese frosting, this strawberry version is perfect when paired with lemon cake, strawberry cake or vanilla cake.
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon meringue powder
- 1/4 cup pureed strawberries *concentrated
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or strawberry powder
- dash salt
- Beat the butter and cream cheese until creamy, about 5 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl several times while beating to ensure everything is mixed well.[BEAT]
- Add the confectioner's sugar, pureed strawberries, salt and vanilla or strawberry power.[COMBINE]
- Beat on medium speed for another 3 minutes.[BEAT]
To have a strong strawberry flavor, you can make your strawberry puree more concentrated. Start with a pound of frozen berries. Place them in a saucepan on the stove with about 1/4 cup sugar. The sugar helps release the juice. After they are thawed, use a stick blender to blend them. Cook over low to medium heat until they are reduced by half. Allow to cool before using in the frosting.