I love to make strawberry filling for cakes. Somehow a cake filled with strawberries just says “summer” as you bite into it! The good news is that it is easy to make, works well with fresh berries or frozen berries, and can even be used as a pancake topping.
I use cherry juice to make up the additional liquid because I find that the strawberries don’t give enough juice, but if you can find strawberry juice that’s even better. Of course you can find it on Amazon, but I haven’t found it locally yet.
The clear gel is a nice option to use instead of corn starch. It is supposed to be able to withstand freezing and thawing, but I’ve never tested that out yet!!
You control the thickness based on how much clear gel you add. If you want a thicker filling, add more clear gel. If you find that it isn’t thick enough at the end, don’t just dump more in, instead gently mix it with equal parts of water or juice and add to the mixture. Continue cooking until it thickens more.
Watch the Video
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 2 cups of filling||Total:|
This filling is really quick to make and it is perfect as a cake filling!! You can even make it thinner and use it for a pancake topping.
- 1 pound of strawberries, pureed
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped berries (optional)
- 1/2 cup water or cherry juice
- 3-4 tablespoons cook type clear gel
- 1/2 cup sugar
- [COMBINE]Puree your berries. You can use fresh or frozen berries for this filling.
- [BLEND]Combine the sugar and clear gel in a sauce pan. Stir well.
- [BAKE]Add the berry puree and water and then cook the mixture over medium heat until thick.
You may also add concentrated strawberry juice instead of cherry juice or water for a stronger flavor.