What could be better than a delicious sweet cherry filling paired with chocolate cake? This sweet cherry filling is one of my favorite things to just eat plain and it is even better when becomes the filling for CAKE! Top your cake with your favorite frosting, or with whipped cream for a decadent treat!
I love cherry filling! My family usually picks cherries in the summer and we make and can sour cherry filling. However, sometimes it is nice to have a filling made with a sweet cherry. Either way, I always use Cheribundi cherry juice for the fillings. My husband laughs at me because after the Rochester half marathon I tasted what was then CherryPharm cherry juice in the post race finish area. I fell in LOVE with this juice and we continue to be subscribers to this day!! Here is my little excerpt about Cheribundi juice from my Skirtrunner site.
The Rochester Half Marathon was my first big race. Milling about in the amazing post-race food tent, I happened upon a small company giving samples of their cherry juice. A half hour later, armed with a sticker with their website I asked Scott how he felt about subscribing to get a monthly shipment of cherry juice. He laughed and told me I was a marketer’s dream. This was in 2007. Years later, Cheribundi has grown and and changed its name (used to be Cherry Pharm), and we’re still enjoying our monthly shipment.
Sweet Cherry Cake Filling
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 2 cups||Total:|
A perfect pairing of sweet and tart, this cherry filling is delicious as a cake filling or just to eat plain.
- 8 ounces Cheribundi tart cherry Juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cook type clear gel
- 12 ounces frozen dark sweet cherries, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract or vanilla extract
- Thaw the cherries and drain any juice. Combine the sugar and clear gel in a sauce pan. Mix well to incorporate the clear gel.[BLEND]
- Pour in the Cheribundi tart cherry juice and whisk well to combine.[ADD]
- Heat over medium heat until thickened, about 5 minutes. Whisk constantly while it is heating.[COOK]
- Add the almond extract and then stir in the thawed cherries.[BLEND]
When you're done, chill the mixture. If you prefer the cherries in smaller pieces, slice them before adding to the filling.